It is a fact that headaches – and particularly migraines – account for most sick-day leaves. There are many reasons why a headache or migraine can seemingly creep up out of nowhere; however, most people do not equate jaw issues, such as bruxism or teeth grinding, as the culprit. At Madden Dental, we can consult with you on what may be causing the sometimes debilitating pain of migraines, and examine your jaw for any tell-tale signs, such as:
- Jaw soreness
- Jaw clicking when opening your mouth, swallowing, or chewing
- Obvious misalignment of the jaw by examination and X-ray
- Limited ability to open the mouth
- Tenderness or pain the face, neck, shoulders, and jaw joint
- Difficulty chewing or a sudden, uncomfortable bite
If Dr. Karisha Madden determines the cause of your headaches and migraines are from Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome, or TMJ, there are several options to help eliminate the discomfort and pain. Some of these options may include:
- A customized dental appliance you wear at night that prevents your teeth from touching – sometimes, this may be enough to ward off potential future problems.
- BOTOX®, which can paralyze the nerves in the jaw and provide significant relief from pain and soreness. BOTOX is a safe alternative to just dealing with the symptoms, often correcting the underlining cause of headaches and migraines. BOTOX can also save money in the long run, since grinding your teeth can eventually cause worn teeth and maybe damaged gums. BOTOX injections are also simple and quick – often requiring only about 10 minutes to perform.
For more information, we invite you to contact our dental team at (713) 667-8080 for headache and migraine treatment in Bellaire, Texas. We hope you will choose us as your dentist, today!
Oral Appliance Therapy