When facial pain strikes, it can be anywhere from a dull ache to a full-blown migraine. A jaw misalignment can create issues with esthetics, since pain often causes frown lines and wrinkles in the forehead. Also, the pain and discomfort can prevent you from smiling, which helps to exercise the facial muscles. Bruxism can also cause TMJ, a misalignment of the jaw joint; the disorder causes your jaw to be sore, swollen, and can result in pain and discomfort, not to mention an off-bite.
There are options to help prevent bruxism and/or correct TMJ, as well as other orofacial conditions, that include:
- BOTOX® – a safe injection that temporarily paralyzes the facial muscles to encourage relaxation, allowing deep lines and wrinkles to disappear or reduce considerably with continued use
- Dermal fillers – To help erase and smooth out wrinkles, frown lines, crow’s feet, and more, which can help improve the esthetics of your facial structure
- Dental sleep medicine for bruxism – oral appliances, positive airway pressure devices, and home sleep study to help with TMJ, bruxism, and sleep apnea
- TENS (Trans Electrical Nerve Stimulation) – To relax muscles and stimulate blood flow to the affected areas
- Ultrasound – Another way to relax muscles and allow increased blood flow
- Trigger-point injections – Helps in eliminating knots in muscles
- Ethyl chloride – Relieves deep muscle pain
- Low-level laser therapy – Speeds healing of tissue repair; reduces inflammation, and used as an analgesic
- Laser-light wave therapy – sends low levels of electrical or radio waves of energy to stimulate blood flow to the affected area
Dr. Karisha Madden can consult with you on what esthetic or facial treatment options, in Bellaire, Texas, are the best for you. Please call Madden Dental at (713) 667-8080 today. We hope to see you at the dentist, soon!